10.15.2009

Textbooks and their damn hipness

My Marketing text book this semester cost me about $80. That's not what I'm writing about today, but I just wanted to point out that it is ridiculous.

What I DO want to say is that textbooks are attempting to be "hip" and it's pissing me off.

Ch 1. Google, Youtube, Facebook, and you.

That's directly from my book.

I'm not lying, here's the first page:


A picture of a spongebob video on youtube.

Why does my text book think that peddling to people who use youtube, google, and facebook will work? Because it will.

Sadly, this Marketing textbook is one of the better ones I've read, and trust me, I've read some Marketing textbooks. I may not like the hiptitude of Grewal and Levy and their personalized M&M's but it sure does work.


I like to think that everyone has their own free will and can stop themselves from being "won over" by manipulation in Marketing, but unfortunately I'm not one of those people. Maybe you aren't either. I don't know. But when I watched a commercial for kit-kat bars on Monday, I went out and and made a trip specifically for a kit-kat bar and then came home. Slave that I am.. but i enjoyed my kit-kat bar and I'll continue to enjoy my hip ass marketing book. ...as long as I end up with an A.

1 comment:

Bill said...

Wow seeing a book like that makes me feel old as hell. I minored in marketing, and we had no books that even covered the "WWW" at that point.