10.28.2009

Probability of going to class

My tuesday class schedule is my busiest day of the week, but by no means is it "busy" by any standard. I just don't happen to have any early classes like I have had in the past.

To start the day, I met with a group about a project we're doing for a business class. We scheduled it before class so we wouldn't have to miss anything. That class; SOM (Business Communications) 301, starts at 1:30 pm which lets out at 2:45. That class yesterday was cancelled at the last minute according to a member of our group.

The busy part comes about beginning at 4:30 and ending at 10:00 pm. Two classes, both of which are 2 hours and 40 minutes a piece.

The second class is Business Statistics, and usually I don't go, but we've been having random "quizzes" (he takes attendance for a quiz grade) at the end of classes so I thought I'd join in and get that free A.

So the first hour passed pretty quickly, I had my homework for this class due Thursday, so I thought I'd knock it out of the way. Then I had nothing to do. I sat and just listened to music. Bored. I decided to put the methods learned in class to practice and developed the statistical probability that I would go to class next week. Using weighted averages and a standard formula I did what I could to try and figure out mathematically if I'll actually go to this complete waste of time.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a decent student. I say it's a "complete waste of time" because this class has two parts. 1) a 2 hour 40 min lecture with a professor who spends 30 minutes lecturing on material, 30 minutes practicing material, and an hour and 40 minutes telling "cute" anecdotes about the material at hand. All of this is spread evenly so one problem takes roughly 40 minutes that includes a combination of all three "items" on his agenda; talking about the material, doing the material, and talking about nothing. and part 2) an hour recitation where we practice the material learned and turn the homework.

Let me ask you which is more time efficient. Which would you skip? I thought so.

The probability I came up with last night was obviously not mathematically sound as their is extreme bias in the situation and I don't know what will happen between now and next Tuesday evening that would make me want to change my mind. The point is I spent the time in class doing fuzzy math for fun when I could've spent that time doing less fuzzy math (let's call it coarse) out of complete boredom. And I'd like to note we did not have a quiz, I could have left.

No comments: