8.29.2009

Rating queries and knocking on wood

After getting through an entire volume of Family Guy episodes and rating them down to each individual joke, I’ve become to see flaws in my method. I’ll have to come up with some weighted scale; is pop culture more important than original humor? Are quotes within the episode have a higher impact on its rewatchability than the story itself? These are things that will come into play as soon as I get into the next volume: start thinking about what is important and what isn’t.

It’s exciting to me sad how important this has become to me. But hey, there are worse things to occupy my time! ::knocks on wood::

And here’s something completely unrelated.

Why do people knock on wood? I understand the hopes that come out of it, but why specifically knocking on wood? You know how people throw a pinch of salt over their shoulder if they spill any on the table; that’s apparently because it’s warding off the devil. And saying, “bless you” after someone sneezes, same thing, to ward off the devil. But why knock on wood? My curiosity is going to claim most of my time today, but I’m sure I’ll end up looking it up within the next 24 hours.

I should note that all posts beginning with “Headphones” through this one are all written on the road without Internet. They are all posted within 10 minutes with different time stamps on them to show when they were actually written, Thursday night for Headphones, Friday for the next two, and Saturday for the next three. Hope everyone had a good weekend, and by the time you see this, I will have already arrived at school and have had a cold one.

No comments: