3.22.2010

Music Monday

I've always considered myself a connoisseur of music, a renaissance man if you will. For me, there's not a genre I haven't enjoyed at some point in my life (Yes, Country and Polka music included). But there are always the tracks that slip through cracks.

I've collected a few songs below that I feel have missed my generation. I'll let you listen to it, then give my two cents below. And if you're at work or in a place where you can't listen to music, I would probably use headphones. Not because of noise disturbing your co-workers or library patrons, but because most of these songs suck.

Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky"


I came across this one a while back, I don't recall when exactly. The thing about this song is it always seems to get me psyched when it's raining or even when it's completely sunny outside.

This next one is a mixed bag for me;

Dire Straits - "Sultans of Swing"


Dire Straits was always one of those bands (for me) that had good songs, but as my good friend Bill Kenney reminded me, a lot of their success in the 80's was strictly commercial. The song "Money for Nothing" was THE commercial for MTV (back when they played music videos, I know it's hard to remember).

That being said, this song "Sultans of Swing" was a huge hit for me. It always reminds me of my dad, who has been a little on the country side.

Rupert Holmes - "Escape"


I've wrote about this song before over here. Despite what I said in it's lyrics, the song itself, and as a whole, is fantastic.

Hall and Oates - "Private Eyes"


Hall and Oates, as I know them, have been the butt of jokes for about 10 years now. I understand why, I mean the homoerotic tones these dudes give off is in itself hilarious. The music is generally bad, but this one is good enough.

Asia - "Heat of the Moment"


I remember these guys really from being a joke in South Park and in 40 year old virgin. They're still kind of a joke to me, but this song is good enough to really enjoy with the windows down in the summer.

Or while watching South Park.

Bryan Adams - "(Everything I Do) I Do it for You"


Due to Family Guy, everytime I here this little diddy, I start to sing in my best Stewie impression.

1 comment:

Bill said...

I would agree with most of your assessments, except Hall & Oates rock, man!